Uniqlo Expands into US Market
Client: UNIQLO US
Projects: Permit Advisors was tasked with obtaining building permits for 42 Uniqlo stores in twelve separate states nationwide between 2013 and 2018.
Locations: The projects were located in California, Colorado, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, New Jersey, New York, Maryland, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Washington.
Overview: Japanese retailer Uniqlo stepped onto the US scene in 2006 when it opened its first US store in Manhattan, New York. Since then, Uniqlo has grown rapidly, opening over fifty stores nationwide. Permit Advisors is proud to have been selected to obtain permits for over forty Uniqlo construction projects, dedicating more than seven project managers to the task.
Scope of Work: Construction work included tenant improvements, new storefronts, mechanical work, electrical work, plumbing, structural alterations, pop-up stores, and more.
- New to the US market
- Elaborate storefronts and atypical designs
- Large scope of work, often massive square footage
- Frequently needed landlord/mall management approvals
- Located in high-profile commercial sectors
Strategies Employed by Permit Advisors
- Performed detailed due diligence on all projects
- Provided architects with all relevant information regarding submittals
- Continually communicated between all parties
- Facilitated concurrent reviews and plan checks
- Scheduled pre-construction meetings with landlords
- Scheduled preliminary reviews with Plan Reviewers whenever possible
- Persistently followed-up with Plan Reviewers regarding status and timelines
- Negotiated over-the-counter reviews whenever possible
Permit Advisors obtained all building permits at-or-before the requested deadline. Through our support in navigating Uniqlo’s development team through the permitting process, Uniqlo was able to stay on track with construction. Uniqlo and Permit Advisors continue to partner together on permitting projects and have an outstanding relationship.
“Your firm helped guide our design team through the permit process with great success and helped keep the construction on schedule with permits ready to issue, on time.” – Dennis Castillo, Director of Store Development at UNIQLO