Different Ways to Skin a Cat: The Ways to Get Your Liquor License

In our last article we defined the different types of liquor license types for different establishments, and to review it go to (insert link here).  In this article we begin to explain the different ways to getting your liquor license and the spaghetti bowl processes associated with each.


Get it from Someone Else

The easiest and quickest way to getting the liquor license for your concept, barring a change of use permit, is to buy it from the previous owner. For example, you’re buying a family-owned cantina style restaurant and going to continue business as a bar and grill. You can buy your license for your location from the previous owner and put it in your name. From there the state and local processes are cut down a bit. They will still need to verify basic information: background check on you, consult census data for the area, and ensure nothing really is being changed about the establishment. That can take as little as 6 months in some cases. As always, however, don’t count on a short 6-month timeline as curveballs may be thrown. Additionally, you should ALWAYS get an entitlements solutions firm on your team.


Apply for it From Scratch

If you are doing ground-up construction, applied for a change of use permit, or don’t have a license in your name already, you will have to apply for the correct liquor license type for your establishment and go through the process. In the next few articles we will dive into the different processes more, in this article we will provide a snapshot to you.


  1. Apply with the California Alcohol and Beverage Control (ABC) for your license type. There are different types of licenses (see insert link) as well as different application forms. For certain establishments in certain counties, and depending on the number of available licenses you may be eligible for priority applications. These are not for retail liquor licenses. Retail liquor licenses have a different application process. You will have to submit your application in-person or by mail within a specific timeframe.
  2. While your application is getting routed through the state process you need to apply with your local jurisdiction. This can be the county and city. Depending on where your establishment lies on the map. Be prepared to go through an extensive examination of your site as well as yourself. Background checks, credit checks, crime for the local neighborhood, number of incidents in the area, the number of bathrooms your establishment has, and many more questions will be asked.
  3. Normally, off-the-record the process is then to consult with the local neighborhood council and get on their agenda. Speak with council members that are involved with the district and partner with them on your project. They can help during the meeting to discuss why your project is a good fit for the neighborhood.
  4. Meet with the council. Rally the neighborhood around your project. Detail the revenue, the jobs, and all the good your restaurant will do. Also, compromise with neighborhood. Show them you want to fit in not take over.
  5. Wait wait wait wait wait. This will take time, additional forms will pop up as required, there will be fees, fees, and more fees. Be patient and ready.
  6. Get your license!

We’d also like to note you are able to apply for construction permits outside of this entitlements piece, however, you will need to ensure you have drafted your plans to meet liquor license requirements.


These, in a nutshell, are the ways you may get a liquor license. This is very general information, of course, and for more you can call us to set up a consultation. Permit Advisors Inc can get very specific and help guide you through to find the best solution. We don’t just work the process, we work for solutions.


About Us: Permit Advisors Inc is a nationwide permit expediting, entitlement, and consulting firm based out of Beverly HIlls, CA. We have established relationships with municipalities nation-wide and implement time as well as cost saving strategies to efficiently complete projects. We provide a project management team to ensure every aspect of the project is given specific attention while maintaining open communication between the jurisdiction, consultants, and our clients. We serve retailers, architects, landlords, tenant coordinators, contractors and franchisees nationwide in the hotel, retail, restaurant, mixed-use, multifamily, entertainment, grocery, and logistical plant development industries. Contact us today for a consultation at www.permitadvisors.com.


Related Post

  • liquor license
  • liquor license types
  • Liquor licenses
  • type 40 liquor license
  • type 41 liquor license
  • type 42 liquor license
  • type 47 liquor license
  • type 48 liquor license
  • type 75 liquor license
May 1, 2017 By admin